Linux, LDAP and the impossibility of handling editable PDFs

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 1 09:06:48 UTC 2008

Several months ago I tried configuring the Linuxulator on several
FreeBSD 7.X boxes, most of them pure amd64 and pure 64 bit (as it is
possible with Intels pseudo 64 bit crap). The reason for that is simple.
Having FreeBSD (now 7.1-PRE) as my favorite OS on servers AND hybrid
boxes (acting as workstations AND small servers) makes life easy - I
thought and was touhgt wrong.
Our administration sends a lot of PDFs around and as it is very usual,
our applications, forms and so on for scientific congresses etc. are all
PDF and subject to be edited. And here it comes that FreeBSD seems to be
a definite deadend!
Using pdfedit is wrong, it can't show or edit any PDF we obtained so
far. Using 'pdftk' fails, it is not made to run in modern 64 bit
environments only when using FreeBSD (linux seems to have no problem,
especially Ubuntu does the thing). So, then I remembered myself about
Linuxulator and tried acrobatviewer - and failed. As in other
professional environments we were far away from using simple user
management and therefore there is a LDAP environment. And, funny,
Linuxulator does not contact LDAP even if  I try to configure it to use
our LDAP environment. Digging around what flavor of Linux FreeBSD
installs (means: do al ot of work), reading about how to use PAM and
LDAP on Linux (means: doing again additional work in an environment I
try to avoid!) and at last no success, because something is missing or
the Linuxulator should use something for user authentication and
autorization it does not have and uses therefore the FreeBSD stuff and
then fails. Especially for the Acrobat weirdness (or call it software)
something like this occurs whenn attempting starting acrobat reader:

(acroread:18831): GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown
user id (2001)

(acroread:18831): Gdk-WARNING **: shmget failed: error 12 (Cannot
allocate memory)

If there is someone here running a 64 bit environment within a LDAP
realm and already got successfully running the Linux add ons as expected
for LDAP users, you are really welcome to give me some hints how to turn
around my frustration and thoughts about definitely leaving the FreeBSD
path ...

Thanks in advance,

Oliver