Forwarding all mail to a local user

Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov rambiusparkisanius at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 05:35:33 UTC 2008

Hello Jeffrey,

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark.org> wrote:

> You should edit
>
>  /etc/mail/virtusertable
>
> to include a line like
>
>  @localhost  rambius at localhost
>
> There is a sample virtusertable you can look at.
>
> After you have edited the virtusertable file, you should run
>
>  make maps
>
> in that directory.

I followed your advice but I still cannot forward the local email to
my account.  The full contents of my /etc/mail/virtusertable is:

# cat /etc/mail/virtusertable
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/mail/virtusertable.sample,v 1.3 2000/11/02
23:32:31 dirk Exp $
#
# Map one or all usernames at a source hostname to a specific (or the same)
# username at another target hostname.  Remember to add the source hostname
# to /etc/mail/local-host-names so that sendmail will accept mail for the
# source hostname.
#
@localhost rambius at localhost

I run make maps and I tested if my account can receive email:

$ echo "Test email 1" | mail -s "Test Email 1" rambius at localhost

I successfully got this email in my mbox. Next I tried to send an
email to an non-existing user:

$ echo "Test email 1" | mail -s "Test Email 1" nonexisting at localhost

I got an error saying "/home/rambius/dead.letter... Saved message in
/home/rambius/dead.letter" and did not receive the email in my
mailbox. Maybe emails to nonexisting users cannot be forwarded at all?

Regards
Rambius

--
Tangra Mega Rock: http://www.radiotangra.com