dump/restore don't work, handbook lies

J.D. Bronson jd_bronson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 1 00:14:42 UTC 2008

At 05:03 PM 8/31/2008 -0600, Lloyd M Caldwell wrote:
>Hello,
>
>this all on a 7.0 freebsd system.
>
>Dump/Restore do NOT work as indicated in the handbook (or man
>pages). It would be better to remove information from the handbook
>rather then have information that doesn't work.

Are you trying to resize the same disc or migrate to a NEW disk?

Migrating to a new (larger) disc is trivial, at least in my experience.
(I have never tried to resize any partitions though on a same disc,
since new hard drives are cheap enough)

Here is what I do to migrate to a totally new disc:

Shutdown and install 2nd DRIVE
boot machine...
run sysinstall on the 2nd DRIVE (slice/dice/and setup MBR)

then I run a small script like this:
(Some presumptions are made ahead of time here)

#!/bin/sh

newfs /dev/ad2s1a
newfs /dev/ad2s1d
newfs /dev/ad2s1e
newfs /dev/ad2s1f
newfs /dev/ad2s1g
newfs /dev/ad2s1h
sleep 4
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1a
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1d
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1e
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1f
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1g
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1h
sleep 4
mount /dev/ad2s1a /mnta
mount /dev/ad2s1d /mntd
mount /dev/ad2s1e /mnte
mount /dev/ad2s1f /mntf
mount /dev/ad2s1g /mntg
mount /dev/ad2s1h /mnth

dump -C 32 -0Lf - / | ( cd /mnta ; restore xf - )
dump -C 32 -0Lf - /usr | ( cd /mntd ; restore xf - )
dump -C 32 -0Lf - /var | ( cd /mnte ; restore xf - )
dump -C 32 -0Lf - /home | ( cd /mntf ; restore xf - )
dump -C 32 -0Lf - /staff | ( cd /mntg ; restore xf - )
dump -C 32 -0Lf - /users | ( cd /mnth ; restore xf - )

umount /mnt*

Then shut down.
Place the 2nd drive in the 1st slot and turn it back on.

Maybe there is a better or simpler way, but I have been doing this for years
and never had any issues.

YMMV

-JD