gmirror slice insertion, "FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY, DSC, ERROR>"

Thomas Sparrevohn Thomas.Sparrevohn at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 31 11:02:52 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 10:04:39 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 02:00:21AM -0700, Carl wrote:
> > Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> >> Seagate chooses to encode some raw data for some SMART attributes in a
> >> custom format.  The format is not publicly documented.  This is why you
> >> have to go off of the adjusted values shown in VALUE/WORST/THRESH.
> >> "How am I supposed to know all of this?!"  You aren't -- it comes with
> >> experience.
> >
> > And yet my failing drive's VALUE numbers are still all above their
> > THRESH values, despite it being bad enough to cripple the system. One
> > might argue those threshold values leave something to be desired.
>
> I'd urge you to file complaint(s) with drive manufacturers, as they're
> the ones who decide the values.  Thresholds are not defined per the
> ATA-ATAPI specification, so technically they can pick whatever value
> they want.  This is exactly why you'll encounter people screaming "SMART
> is worthless, the drive is already dead by the time the overall SMART
> health check fails!"
>
> If you go this route, please CC me, as I'd be quite to see what
> manufacturers have to say.

Just a saw note - I saw the same problem with a hitachi disk - I ran a vendor diagnostics tool
that I found on their home page and it rebuild the bad sector map and the problem went away

The error occured after I had the disk for a couple of days - WHat puzzled me was that the drive
did not do it automatically