Large discrepancy in reported disk usage on USR partition

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Oct 30 20:11:37 PDT 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>>> Is this output untruncated? Is df really df or an alias to 'df -t nonfs'?
>> Yes, it really is the untruncated output of "df -h". I also tried the "df -t
>> nonfs" and it gives exactly the same output as "df". What are you expecting
>> that is not present in the output ?

I would have to assume he's looking for an NFS mount ;-)

>>> Is it possible that nfs directory got written to /usr at some point in
>> time?
>>> You would only notice this with du if the nfs directory is unmounted.
>>> Unmount it and ls -al /usr/mountpoint should only give you an empty dir

>> Bingo!! That is exactly the problem. An NFS mount was hiding a 17G local dir
>> which had an old copy of the entire NFS mounted dir. I guess it must have
>> been written incorrectly to this standby server by RSYNC before the NFS
>> mount was put in place. I will add an exclusion to rsync to make sure it
>> does not happen again even if the NFS dir is not mounted.
>>
>> Thank you for your help, you have saved me much time rebuilding this server.
>
> Can either of you outline what exactly happened here?  I'm trying to
> figure out how an "NFS mount was hiding a 17G local dir", when there's
> no NFS mounts shown in the above df output.  This is purely an ignorant
> question on my part, but I'm not able to piece together what happened.

Well, it would appear that perhaps Mel also guessed right about df
being aliased?  Just my guess, but, as you mention, no nfs mounts
appear.  I may be mistaken, but I think it's also possible to get
into this sort of situation by mounting a local partition on a
non-empty mountpoint---at least, it happened to me recently.

Kevin Kinsey
--
A triangle which has an angle of 135 degrees is called an obscene
triangle.