fail with wireless network configuration with "SIOCS80211: Invalid argument"

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Thu Oct 30 07:50:13 PDT 2008

Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Hello. I am trying to get an AboveCable (model: ACPC 2000-01) wireless
> card connected to my home network with 40-bit Hex WEP Encryption on
> FreeBSD 6.1.
>
> # ifconfig wi0 inet 192.168.1.90 ssid ZWW wepmode on wepkey 0xea82552825
> ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid argument
>
> Did I made anything wrong or miss something in the kernel? I have the
> related lines in kernel:
>
>     driver wi
>     driver wlan

It turns out this error message is a direct result of lack of wlan_wep
neither loaded as module nor compiled in kernel.

However I still could not make the card work (even though it works in
Ubuntu Linux) after having wlan_wep compiled in, but at least I
eliminated the

SIOCS80211: Invalid argument

error message, which may be helpful for someone who finds this thread by
using this error message as search key to google.