Marvell 88E8052 PCI-E LAN on FreeBSD 7.0

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Thu Oct 30 05:15:20 PDT 2008

> I discovered that adding -txcsum and -rxcsum (i.e.
> disabling hardware checksuming) to the ifconfig
> statement, the performance was as quick as it is
> on that other OS!

there is a lot of buggy chips produced today.

normally the should go to thrash, but - what a problem - they put onto
motherboards so user have no choice. then they include windoze drivers
that simply disable non-working features and they are happy, not even
telling anyone about this.

unless you are buying motherboard for servers, DO NOT expect lan to work ;)

it's my common practice.

nvidia ethernet was the worst one (it never worked), but realtek gigabit
ethernet on other motherboard needed the same as yours (-txcsum, -rxcsum)
or it randomly drop packets, probably because it calculates checksums
wrong.