Large discrepancy in reported disk usage on USR partition

Brendan Hart brendanh at strategicecommerce.com.au
Wed Oct 29 18:43:34 PDT 2008

Hi,

The space reserved as minfree does not appear to have been changed from the
default setting of 8%. Is your suggestion that I should change it to a
larger value? I don't understand how modifying it now could fix the
situation, but I could be missing something.

The output of "tunefs -p /usr" is as follows:

#: tunefs -p /usr
tunefs: ACLs: (-a)                                         disabled
tunefs: MAC multilabel: (-l)                               disabled
tunefs: soft updates: (-n)                                 enabled
tunefs: maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group: (-e)  2048
tunefs: average file size: (-f)                            16384
tunefs: average number of files in a directory: (-s)       64
tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             8%
tunefs: optimization preference: (-o)                      time
tunefs: volume label: (-L)

I have not observed the problem on any of the other ~dozen FreeBSD servers
in our data centre.

Could the "missing" space be an indication of hardware disk issues i.e.
physical blocks marked as bad?

Is it possible on UFS2 for disk space to be allocated but hidden somehow?
(although I have been running the commands such as "du -x" as superuser)
Similarly, is it possible on UFS2 for disk space to be allocated in "lost
cluster chains" ?

Best Regards,
Brendan Hart