freebsd installation order

pwn pwnedomina at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 12:28:27 PDT 2008

Jerry McAllister escreveu:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 06:39:16PM +0000, pwn wrote:
>

>> Jerry McAllister escreveu:

>>> Yup.   That is what I use.

>>> Unless you are running something where absolute maximum performance
>>> is critical, don't bother removing things from the kernel.  Just
>>> limit customizing to adding those things you need that are not
>>> in by default - some drivers, maybe.

>>> So, yup.   You seem to have it.
>>>
>>> ////jerry
>>>

>> on this page
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
>> it says:
>> Tip: By default, when you build a custom kernel, all kernel modules will
>> be rebuilt as well. If you want to update a kernel faster or to build
>> only custom modules, you should edit /etc/make.conf before starting to
>> build the kernel:
>>

> It would take more time to edit /etc/make.conf than you would
> save in the kernel build.    If you are doing lots of kernel
> builds while doing development, maybe then this would be worthwhile,
> but kernel builds do not take enough time on modern machines to
> bother speeding them up trivial amounts.   Basically, this is
> saying you can fix things up so that it only builds those modules
> that you are changing when you do a rebuild and skips the others.
>
> This is not relevant to general system performance, just kernel
> builds.
>
> ////jerry

i got it =), although, imho kernel builds always affect system
performance.(maybe not in general)
i was just asking myself a away for simplify at extreme this tasks that
sometime can take many time, i guess after configure FreeBSD on a
machine i should copy some configuration files like, /etc/make.conf and
a custom kernel in attempt to avoid repetitive tasks.