no reverse dns

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Oct 29 11:10:39 PDT 2008

We have just moved offices and our freebsd machine has started complaining in
the following terms

Oct 29 17:14:39 int kernel: arplookup ww.xx.yy.zz failed: host is not on local
network

We have an external router connected as a dhcp server at 192.168.0.2 which
apparently has external address ww.xx.yy.zz. I am using a fixed ip address ie

192.168.0.6

I have this in my rc.conf

defaultrouter="192.168.0.2"
hostname="int.myoffice.com"
ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.0.6  netmask 255.255.255.0"

and have dns mapping int.myoffice.com --> ww.xx.yy.zz, but our ISP will not make
the reverse mapping. I assume that we're trying to reverse lookup something and
the lack of reverse dns is causing this issue.

What can I add to my rc.conf to stop this arplookup problem?
--
Robin Becker