ports missing their packages.

freebsd at t41t.com freebsd at t41t.com
Wed Oct 29 04:10:38 PDT 2008

andrew clarke <mail_ozzmosis.com> said (on 2008/10/29):
> You need to understand that the FreeBSD project by its nature is
> primarily source-code driven.  Making packages available (of any port)
> is of very low priority in comparison to the rest of the system
> (testing, documentation, etc).  Demanding that the FreeBSD volunteers
> build a package just because you want to use it is a bit unfair,
> particularly when you can make one yourself without much trouble.

I'm not sure I got all the emails in this thread... maybe some just
haven't arrived yet.

Anyway... I, for one, depend on packages. It literally takes days to
build something like Firefox on my (admittedly old) computer. I'm
surprised that package creation is such a low priority. Are there so
few people running FreeBSD on old hardware?