flash-9, 10 on FreeBSD

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:23:02 PDT 2008

Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>
>> If it is firefox3 you are talking about, create a symbolic link to
>> the actual plugins directory:
>>
>> ln -s /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/libgnashplugin.so
>>   /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins
>
> Well, that seems pretty obvious now.  It leads me to wonder, though:
> what browsers *do* look in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins?  Or is that
> just meant to be a convenient place to symlink into?
> --
> Kirk Strauser

The following excerpt from /usr/ports/UPDATING will completely answer
your question :)

20080727:
  AFFECTS: users of www/firefox3
  AUTHOR: gnome at FreeBSD.org

  Update to 3.0.1_1,1; it no longer seeks for plugins in
lib/browser_plugins,
  because few plugins that built with Firefox 2 can cause Firefox 3 to
crash.
  We are working on making some changes with plugins directory by using
  www/linux-mplayer-plugin/Makefile.npapi. If there are some other plugins
  that work with Firefox 3 and you would like to use, you can copy them to
  ~/.mozilla/plugins or /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins manually for now.