NFS Help

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 11:48:17 PDT 2008

Victor Farah wrote:
> Hello
>     I have about 10 machines that are NFS clients, 5 are new and 5 are
> older.  Anyway the new machine mount from the NFS server just fine.
> The older machines mount; and I can ls /mnt/data/; BUT when I ls
> /mnt/data/sc/ on the older machines this happens:
> nfs server 192.168.10.162:/data: not responding
> nfs server 192.168.10.162:/data: not responding
> nfs server 192.168.10.162:/data: not responding
> nfs server 192.168.10.162:/data: not responding
>
> But on the new machines they work perfectly fine?
> As well the old machines mount it as i stated before I can even ls the
> parent directory /mnt/data/ and it shows me all the directories on the
> mount, but anytime I ls or do anything inside there it does that or
> freezes.
>
> Any idea's?

How "old" are these old systems? Do you have any ISA type ethernet cards?

Read Handbook's section 30.3.6:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-nfs.html

I actually had this kind of trouble once, and it was due to  an ISA
network card. I doubt you are really using an ISA card in a production
system, but some of the remedies described in the section may give you a
hint of what is going on.