odd problem, system clock stops while power-down

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Tue Oct 28 06:22:24 PDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:46:58 +0100 Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
 > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 03:17:39 -0700 (PDT), Richard Smith <geseeker at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > > How do i get around this so i wouldn't have to set the clock every
 > > time i boot into freebsd? and by the way, does freebsd use the
 > > CMOS clock?
 >
 > An idea would to use NTP to get the exact time from your
 > local atomic time dealer at system startup. :-)
 >
 > See ntpd and ntpdate for further information.

Definitely the best advice.  However it doesn't explain why his system
apparently fails to retrieve the current date & time from CMOS on boot.

Mine always have, though CMOS clocks rarely keep good time, so using NTP
after network connection after boot I see initial corrections of several
seconds usually .. still it's better than having all your log timestamps
screwed after reboot until NTP does its thing.

Richard: are you running UTC or local time in CMOS?  If the latter, does
the file /etc/wall_cmos_clock exist?

cheers, Ian