collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

Simon Chang simonychang at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 12:24:47 PDT 2008

> collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC
>
> I've read that this is mainly caused by Apache spawning too many processes.
> Everyone seems to suggest to decrease the MaxClients directive in Apache(set
> to 450 at the moment), but here's the problem...i need to increase it !
> During peaks all the processes are in use, we even have little drops
> sometime because there isn't enough processes to serve the requests. Our
> traffic is increasing slowly over time so i'm affraid that it'll become a
> real problem soon. Any tips on how I could deal with this situation,
> Apache's or FreBSD's side ?

On page 85 of Michael Lucas' "Absolute BSD", there is a solution to
your problem that someone else had come across before.  The solution
involves (1) increasing the PMAP_SHPGPERPROC parameter in the kernel
to a higher value and rebuilding the kernel, and (2) increasing the
amount of physical RAM to complement it.

For more details, go to

http://books.google.com/books?id=vebgS-r9fP8C&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=Michael+Lucas+collecting+pv+entries&source=web&ots=9Fl2T_Uyqi&sig=6LgchiUI5r0NTL6PaK3sxnFuIBI&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

Good luck,

Simon Chang