Gimp-help not working after portupgrade

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 06:15:25 PDT 2008

After upgrading to Gimp 2.6.1 (on 6.4-RC1) I can't access
the Gimp help files.

I have the following gimp* ports installed:
gimp-2.6.1,2        The "meta-port" for The Gimp
gimp-app-2.6.1_1,1  A GNU Image Manipulation Program
gimp-gutenprint-5.1.7_1 GutenPrint Printer Driver
gimp-help-2.4.1     GIMP user's manual

The error message I got was:

The GIMP user manual is not installed on your computer.

gimp-help-2.4.1 worked OK with 2.4 but perhaps it's not compatible with
2.6. (I see from www.gimp.org that work is in progress on updating the
user manual for GIMP 2.6) so I thought I'd switch over to the online
help but then I got the following error message:

Could not open 'http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-help.xml' for reading:
Operation not supported

Perhaps you are missing GIO backends and need to install GVFS?

I have gio-fam-backend-2.16.5 and gvfs-0.2.5 installed.

This isn't restricted to just the online help, gimp won't load any file
via http.

I asked about the http problem in comp.graphics.apps.gimp but didn't get
any response. Google searches haven't unearthed anything about this so
I was wondering if it might be a problem related to the FreeBSD port
rather than gimp itself?

--
Mike Clarke