restrict gnome desktop user.

joeb joeb at a1poweruser.com
Sat Oct 25 03:22:54 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org]On Behalf Of en0f
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:50 PM
To: freebsd-questions at FreeBSD. ORG
Subject: Re: restrict gnome desktop user.

joeb wrote:
> How do it configure gnome to restrict users to their home directory?
> I don't want them to be able see any system directories or other users?

Dont know about gnome per se but you can use chroot/jails to restrict
users to see only stuffs you want them to see for any environment. Just
build the chroot and copy over the gnome-specific binaries to its
chrooted-equivalent (copy or link /usr/bin/gnome-panel to
/home/chrooted/johndoe/usr/bin/gnome-panel). I do not know of any tools
that does this automatically and also I do not know how gdm will work out.

e.g -
Normal
/home/johndoe/

         |___ .bashrc