the age old 3D hardware question

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Sat Oct 25 01:18:10 PDT 2008

> I'm looking to buy a new workstation that needs to be able to run in
> 64-bit (long) mode (working with large data sets). What are my options
> for 3D acceleration without binary drivers? My needs are quite minimal,
> I'm not running any games.

you actually need 3D accelerator or just fast 2D card?

if second - buy for <<50$ (or get for free) used computer, lowest end
pentium will suffice, plug good PCI graphics in it, and make an X
terminal to connect to your high-speed computer.

there is one more adventage of it - you may connect more than one :)