duplicate a drive

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri Oct 24 17:50:13 PDT 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:19:23 -0600 (MDT)
Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NEW-HUGE-DISK

"The best way is to reinstall the OS on the new disk, then move the user
data over. This is highly recommended if you have been tracking -STABLE
for more than one release, or have updated a release instead of
installing a new one."

"Highly recommended" seems a very strange thing for the FAQ to be
saying. It's implying that FreeBSD base-system upgrades are a
bit flaky. It even goes on "Should you decide not to do a fresh
install", as if to say "you have been warned".

Unless my experience is abnormal, we seem to be publishing our own FUD.