Drive Disconnection

mark.jacobs at custserv.com mark.jacobs at custserv.com
Fri Oct 24 17:12:04 PDT 2008

It is a Lacie d2 quadra drive but FreeBSD reports this;
server kernel: ad4: 953869MB <Hitachi HDS721010KLA330 GKAOA70M> at ata2-master SATA150

When I perform the RSYNC I receive these errors

Oct 24 12:47:13 server kernel: ad4: FAILURE - device detached
Oct 24 12:47:13 server kernel: subdisk4: detached
Oct 24 12:47:13 server kernel: ad4: detached
Oct 24 12:47:13 server kernel: g_vfs_done():ad4s1a[WRITE(offset=144332767232, length=131072)]error = 6
Oct 24 12:47:13 server kernel: g_vfs_done():ad4s1a[WRITE(offset=144332898304, length=131072)]error = 6
The write failure messages keep on being issued until the server reboots. It isn't in the log, but I receive a dirty buffer panic.

I don't have easy access to a 7.1 system with an ESATA port.

I'm current redoing the entire process, wipe, build filesystem, mount, rsync using the USB port. If that works I'm going to junk the idea of using the ESATA card for the drive.

Can you recommend an ESATA card that fits in an PCI slot since my server doesn't have a PCI-E slot?

Mark Jacobs