FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE installing php-imap

mdh mdh_lists at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 06:48:38 PDT 2008

--- On Fri, 10/24/08, Grant Peel <gpeel at thenetnow.com> wrote:
> From: Grant Peel <gpeel at thenetnow.com>
> Subject: FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE installing php-imap
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Date: Friday, October 24, 2008, 9:31 AM
> Hi all,
>
> I have a script that required php-imap extension installed
> but I keep
> running into a 2 snags when 'making' the port
> (mail/php-imap)...
>
> First, I have to use the -DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER so
> openssl_overwtite_base
> won't kill the make, which seems to work,

Hmmm.  This sounds indicative of a more serious problem than just something you can work around quickly.  I'm not at all familiar with this port though.

> and, most importantly,
>
> when the mail/imap-php port tried to actually do the build
> of the imap part,
> it says it can't find (OpenSSLs) 'evp.h' file.
> I assume it is just failing
> on the first file it can't find.

That is very odd.  cpp(1) looks in /usr/include by default, without any -I flags specified.  As you state below that you have evp.h in /usr/include/openssl/evp.h, I don't see why this would happen.

> So, I guess the question is, when making the mail/imap-php
> port, is there a
> way to pass the path for the OpenSSL libraries? My libs
> appear to be in two
> places:
>
> server# locate evp.h
> /usr/include/openssl/evp.h
> /usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto/evp/evp.h
>
> If I can pass the path, I assume I should use the
> /usr/include dir, but how?

You'd use a make command such as the following, in the port dir:
make CFLAGS='-I/usr/include' install clean
That shouldn't be necessary, though, for reasons stated above.

> make -D"--with-openssl=/usr/include/openssl"  ???

No.  If you wanted to add configure args, you'd use CONFIGURE_ARGS in a similar manner to how my previous example used CFLAGS.

> TIA,
>
> -Grant

This is a strange situation.  Did your web search for similar issues turn up anything?  Is anyone else experiencing this?  If so, was there a PR on it?  If not, you may want to contact the port maintainer and see if they have any assistance, or file a PR if there is not one already.  Also, please post a reply to the list with your `uname -a` output.

- mdh