Trouble Shutting down

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 03:06:04 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:39 AM, Juan Ortega <replay at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 23 October 2008 17:41:40 you wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:42 AM, Juan Ortega <replay at sdf.lonestar.org>
> wrote:
>> > I'm using FreeBSD amd64  8-0-Current
>> >
>> > I set up window maker to start by "startx" command,
>> > but when I exit the window maker the screen just turns
>> > black nothing works so I'm force to unplug the power each
>> > time. This happens "sometimes" other times the terminal
>> > shows up and I can shutdown manually. Since I'm using
>> > a snapshot version of FreeBSD is this a bug?
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what logs to copy and paste here for more information.
>>
>> Do you have the drivers for your graphics card installed?  What type
>> of graphics card is this?
>
> My laptop is HP Pavilion tx2510us
> and uses the graphics card ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics
> everything works expect even when the terminal does come up
> it gives this error
> xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "replay.free-bsd.net:0" in "remove" command
>
> ideas?

Please don't only reply to me, if your initial question was towards
the list -- someone else may see something I'm missing.

You never answered my initial question.  Are the proper xorg drivers
for your graphics card installed?  I ask again, because I've seen
several situations where non-existent or incorrect graphics drivers
make X do bad/odd things when exiting -- I've experienced this
situation myself.

I know nothing about ATI, other than it doesn't play well with any of
the OSes I use, so I don't buy it.

--
Glen Barber
570.328.0318