DHCP server

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc
Fri Oct 24 02:44:17 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is an issue with my dhcp server or the client, but
since I seem to get troubles with two different clients, I'm thinking it
might be the server:

I've got a FreeBSD 7.0-p4 machine running isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.5_2
serving my home network. When my Linux (Archlinux) client request
a lease, this happens:

[root at weld:~]$ dhcpcd -n eth0
eth0: dhcpcd 4.0.2 starting
eth0: broadcasting for a lease
eth0: offered 10.0.0.176 from 10.0.1.1 `mirrorball'
eth0: checking 10.0.0.176 is available on attached networks

... and then it times out, and does not configure the network. This
makes me think that there may be a client issue, since the DCHP server
does indeed offer an address. But I also have troubles with a Mac OS X
client (although it's a little more vague about the errors).

	Svein Halvor