Locked out of Root

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Oct 23 08:09:48 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:55:19PM -0400, APseudoUtopia wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I have one user (other than root and the other system users) on my
> box, and that user is _NOT_ in the wheel group. I also have root
> logins disabled via SSH. This is a remote server and all I have is SSH
> access.
>
> Is there any way that I can gain root? I know the root password and
> everything, but I just can't get to it. The user is not in the wheel
> group, and root login is disabled in SSH.

You will need to gain console access or get someone there to
gain console access.   Then login as root and add that non-root
account to the wheel group (or have the _trusted_ local person do it).
Have the local person log out and you can then immediately log in as
the non-root, su to root, check if anyone else is connected and then
change the root password.

////jerry