Can't upgrade or deinstall phpMyAdmin

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 23 00:05:59 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 08:59:57AM +0200, Valentin Bud wrote:
> May i ask a question. Why do you use phpmyadmin from ports? It installs
> lots of libraries hence possible security threats in the future. So instead
> of
> taking care of updating a bunch of libraries just for phpmyadmin why don't
> you simply download it from http://www.phpmyadmin.net/, put in the apache
> doc
> root, set it up and so you have to take care to update it when a new version
> comes
> out.
> my 2 cents,

You're talking about the dependencies it has on bzip2, GD, OpenSSL, PDF,
zlib, mcrypt, and mbstring.  These are *optional*; nothing stops you
from unchecking them in "make config".

However, be aware that removing some of them will cause phpmyadmin to
work fine, but emit warning messages to the user that <X> feature is
not available.  This is why said features are enabled by default.

I do not advocate downloading software and just "dumping it" into some
directory on a machine; if you really want to go that route, then why
use ports at all?  Heck, why use FreeBSD, just use Slackware Linux.