page fault while in kernel mode

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 21 12:25:52 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 03:22:28PM -0400, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 15:09 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Alternatively, you could just remove the 'device adv' line from your
> > kernel
> > config rather than adding lots of 'nodevice' lines at the bottom.  You
> > can
> > usually do 'man 4 <driver name>' to see what devices it supports.  In
> > this
> > case, adv(4) supports mostly ancient Advansys SCSI host adapters.
> > The
> > manpage has a full list of the various model numbers, etc.
>
> Yes, that is what I thought. Right now, I am just commenting them out,
> now I know what people mean when they say they are running a
> trimmed/clean kernel.
>
> I did see one potential issue...
>
> # USB support
> device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
> device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
> device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
> device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
>
> I see all of these with nodevice lines in the PAE file. Although I have
> USB ports, I don't use them, but I was concerned by the 'required' on
> the last one, is it OK to remove? Also, would I then need to disable USB
> in the BIOS to avoid errors?

If you remove "device usb", you will also need to remove uhci, ohci,
ehci, umass, ukbd, etc. etc. etc... from your config as well.

You do not need to disable USB support in the BIOS; the kernel will
simply state that it sees devices on the PCI bus but lacks a driver to
attach to them.  This will not harm anything.