gjournal: journaled slices vs. journaled partitions

Carl k0802647 at telus.net
Mon Oct 20 22:19:35 PDT 2008

My goal is to build a 2-disk server configured with gmirror and gjournal
for maximum reliability. There will never be a second operating system
on the system, but I prefer not to freak out any non-FreeBSD repair
tools that might be used, so I will use compatibility instead of
dangerously dedicated mode. This means I need one slice, but see no
reason for more. Inside that one slice will be the usual array of
partitions (ie. /, swap, /var, /tmp, /usr, /data).

Now, I think gmirror allows me to mirror the entire drive rather than
forcing me to do per-slice or even per-partition mirroring. I'm looking
for the simplest in-field replacement procedure when one of the drives
dies and I imagine a whole drive mirror achieves this. Am I right?

gjournal, OTOH, has me really confused. The man page for gjournal(8)
specifically does not recommend that small partitions be journaled. I
assume that's because the journal provider rivals the partition in size
and is therefore overhead heavy. It seems to me, though, that if I can
journal the slice as a whole instead of per-partition journaling, that
there will essentially then be only one journal provider for the
combination of all partitions (ie. slice) and that the aforementioned
overhead becomes minor. Having smaller partitions included in journaling
  seems like a good thing to me. So how do I achieve per-slice
journaling instead of per-partition? Every time I read up on someone
else's gjournal implementation, it seems to end with adding
<partition>.journal entries to /etc/fstab. Am I trying to achieve the
impossible or ill-advised here?

Carl                                             / K0802647