Installing Samba : FreeBSD Vs Linux ?

Valentin Bud valentin.bud at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 02:17:48 PDT 2008

Hello list,

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Valentin Bud <valentin.bud at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > hello list,
> >  a little story about samba and FreeBSD.
> > I had to make a file server for a company that uses a program for
> > accounting. that software works with lots of files to do the job.
> >
> > the software admin told me that the permissions should be very open on
> the
> > directories and files
> > so i made them 0777. the software worked like a charm for about 2 months
> but
> > after that
> > at some point the client couldn't access the files on the samba server.
> >  The files were there with the correct permissions but the software
> refused
> > to access them with
> > an error that they don't exist. I've tried to debug samba but couldn't
> find
> > a clue, i have updated
> > FreeBSD because i thought that the problem is with seekdir because the
> > software was usign lot of files
> > and directories. That didn't solve the problem either.
> >  I have searched the web for a guidance but couldn't find any. The
> > interesting part comes when
> > the company decided to change the OS to openSUSE. That did the trick. So
> > first
> > thing that comes in mind is that FreeBSD + samba + that accounting
> software
> > just don't work together.
> > I didn't had the chance to debug it as i should because they needed a fix
> > ASAP.
> >
> > I have always used FreeBSD for web/file/VoIP server and never had a
> problem.
> > I even have a FBSD
> > box that server as a file server and there are lots of files and 10 depth
> > directories and it works like a charm.
> >
> > I have no conclusions, is just a story of my own to help you make an
> > opinion.
> >

> Are you using the same samba config file from FreeBSD on OpenSUSE?
> Do you mind showing us that smb.conf.

Unfortunately i didn't configured the OpenSUSE server so i don't have access
to the box. AFAIK the configuration is the same. Standard samba config file
just
changing the netbios name and adding the shares. In the next few weeks i
will
be able to access the box and i will come back with the both setups. I
forgot to
mention that i used FBSD 6.2.

all the best,