Inode numbering

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Oct 19 09:52:27 PDT 2008

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 22:46:04 -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> It might work in the special case where nothing
> on the filesystem is ever moved or removed, and no hard links are
> ever added.
>
> As a simple example, suppose I have directories foo and foo/bar,
> and file foo/baz, with i(foo) == 15, i(foo/baz) == 20, and
> i(foo/bar) == 25, satisfying your criterion.  If I do
>
>   mv foo/baz foo/bar
>
> (so baz is now foo/bar/baz), I will have i(foo/bar) == 25 and
> i(foo/bar/baz) == 20.

Thank you for this example. So I cannot assume inode
numbers to be in a specific order. It will force me to
do what I originally intended to do: Iterate from 2 up
to the maximal number and then check the availability,
and, if given, "trace back" the ".. chain" to an existing
directory entry point - or re-create one, if it is missing,
too. Will be a lot of work, but I think I can learn much
from this.

Remember, kids: Learning is fun. :-)

--
Polytropon