Problem with www/mod_cband

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 17 10:54:01 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:57:41PM -0400, David Karapetyan wrote:
> FreeBSD office19.resnet.nd.edu 7.0-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p5 #0:
> Wed Oct  1 10:10:12 UTC 2008
> root at i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> Hello everyone. Every time I try to use the mod_cband module in my
> apache22 webserver, apache segfaults upon restart. Things work fine when
> I disable the module from httpd.conf. Is this module broken, and if so,
> what comparable alternatives are there?

Be aware that mod_cband has quite a horrible bug.  This is a Debian bug
report, but the same problem applies to FreeBSD.  Be sure to read the
entire bug, not just the original report.

Regarding alternatives: there aren't.  Bandwidth limiting is a
long-standing feature of Apache that's missing, which is a huge
disappointment.

The best solution I've found on FreeBSD is to use pf(4) with ALTQ,
and give each VirtualHost its own IP address, then rate-limit the IP
address using pf(4).  Yes, I realise this is impractical for sites
which have many vhosts and use name-based virtualhosts.

Welcome to my world...