FreeBSD and Nagios - permissions

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Thu Oct 16 00:51:18 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm implementing a shell script as a Nagios plugin to check the status
of the ciss(4) driver. However, there is a permission problem that I am
not sure about the best way to get around in FreeBSD (7-STABLE).

The nrpe daemon that handles the script runs as the "nagios" user and
the command needed is camcontrol:

camcontrol inquiry da0

The nagios user does not have a shell by default in FreeBSD:
nagios:*:181:181::0:0:Nagios pseudo-user:/var/spool/nagios:/usr/sbin/nologin
so the script will obviously fail.

I would assume there are several ways to get around this and would
welcome "best practice" suggestions on how.

Thanks,

--per