Testing - my emails don't seem to be getting through

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 15 04:12:58 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:24:27AM +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> I've been getting a lot of rejections: Helo command rejected: Host not
> found (in reply to RCPT TO command). So now I'm running a test to see if
> this one will get through.

I do not know why on earth you are testing this crap using a public
mailing list, rather than mailing an account at Gmail or Hotmail
or some such.  Sorry to sound sour about it, but it's rude.

The error you're receiving would be because your mail server during the
SMTP handshake is saying "HELO i.am.bob" and the remote SMTP server
attempts to resolve i.am.bob but cannot.  By "i.am.bob", I *literally*
mean "i.am.bob".  If you're forwarding mail around on a private network
on your LAN, your computer probably thinks its hostname is
"myfreebsdbox.my.lan", which isn't a publicly-resolvable hostname.

There are ways in sendmail and postfix to solve this problem.