Fwd: Firewall and FreeBSD ports

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Sat Oct 11 00:53:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:16:29 -0400
John Almberg <jalmberg at identry.com> wrote:

> First off, this did solve the problem. Thank you, Jeremy.
>
> Now, as to the why...

That's odd, because if you are running  7.x with a default settings,
FTP_PASSIVE_MODE should be irrelevant to fetching distfiles - even if
it's set to "no".

Do you have any FETCH_* variables defined? What happens if you cd to a
port directory and type: make -V FETCH_CMD ?

> I believe I am using ports. In this case, I had just installed and
> configured PF (the first thing I do, now, when building a new
> machine.)
>
> I then wanted to install NTP:
>
> cd /usr/ports/net/ntp
> make config; make install clean
>
> This failed because the mirrors were not accessible.

I just tried this port myself and it failed on all four servers
configured in the Makefile, only succeeding on the fallback Freebsd
server, (Freebsd's own cache for package building).

Unless you turn-up something odd for FETCH_CMD, I think there's
a good chance that you never had an FTP firewall problem in the first
place, and that the file has simply been added to ftp.freebsd.org since
you got the original failure.