Firewall and FreeBSD ports

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri Oct 10 20:23:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:41:40 -0700
Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 06:54:32PM +0100, RW wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:51:16 -0700
> > Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > passive ftp has been the default for long time, fetch is called
> > with the -p option.
>
> Let's give the users some actual detail, not terse one-liners which
> will induce more questions/confusion.

< Snip some facts used as a blunt instrument >

> The OP did not disclose how he was installing ports.  A lot of users
> think that packages == ports,

I don't normally do this as Watson is usually less impressed when
Holmes reveals his working, but the clues were there. He wrote:

   "install software with ports (i.e, the
   /usr/ports collection.)"

and

   "FTP to grab source files from mirrors"

If you combine that with crediting the poster with enough common sense
to mention he was using a version before 6.2, then it seemed unlikely
to be a problem with active FTP.

BTW neither of us actually answered the question. I know I forgot as I
was in a hurry. I'm pretty sure you didn't either, but I don't have the
time to read all of your reply in detail.

The answer is: enable outgoing tcp connections to port 21 and to all
ports above 1023.