KDE speeech fails with kde4!

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Oct 9 22:12:54 UTC 2008

	Well guys, the temp bottom-line is that all-in-all, kde4 seems
	better than kde3.   The xterm version, Konsole, it more
	nicely laid out.  Konq, dunno; I'm *still* trying to get all my
	kd3 "xml" bookmarks moved over.

	The biggest fault is that the festival [speech] tool, kttd, fails
	to init.  I *do* have kde4/bin before /usr/local/bin, but I'm
	missing something that I don't fully undertand.  Do I need to
	build/rebuild some of these binaries?  My portupgrade -avPpk
	should have done that.

	When I mouse some text then hit Tools->Speak, an err pop-up
	reads: "The D-Bus call say() failed."  Another error dialog pops
	up titled: "kttsd - The KDE Crash Handler"  It says simply that a
	fatal error occured and that the app kttsd crashed with a segv.

	Is there a workaround?

	tia,

	gary