smbpasswd mortal user

Scott MacCallum scottmaccal at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 15:25:24 UTC 2008

Greetings,

I would like my users to be able to change their Samba password using the
smbpasswd command. As of right now only root is allowed to do this. I set
the smbpasswd command with the same permissions as the passwd command and I
still cannot run it as a mortal user. I read the FreeBSD handbook and
understand that smbpasswd is no longer the preferred tool to do what I want
with version of Samba I am running, however it too cannot be run as a mortal
user. In any case, I would like to continue using the smbpasswd command.

Does someone have a solution they can share?

FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008
root at logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Samba version 3.0.28 (from ports)

--
Sincerely,