!@%%## maildrop and postfix - temporary authentication failure

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Oct 9 14:47:14 UTC 2008

--On Thursday, October 09, 2008 01:21:20 -0500 Da Rock
<rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au> wrote:

> I'm really about to throw this damn server through a closed window (or
> better yet a brick wall). I've searched high and low on google for a
> straight answer, and any references in mailing lists give an answer of
> read the INSTALL file (as if thats supposed to solve everything).
>
> I have virtual users for email in postfix, and I want to use maildrop to
> deliver to the virtual mailboxes. Problem is, when it does use maildrop
> it shows an error in the logs as the subject line says.
>
> I've tried everything, checked everything. That supposed magic solution
> in the INSTALL file says only ONE thing needs to be set to get it to
> work. Maildrop is owned by root and group is mail. The socket is rwx
> globally (all this is set by the port install). The executing user for
> pipe in postfix is vmail.
>
> I've installed the port with authlib and gdbm (even manually adjusted
> the makefile to ensure --enable-userdb). Nada.
>
> The generally consensus is that it should work out of the box- so what
> the hell am I doing wrong? Where should I be looking? Specifically: what
> is not authenticating? I can manually test maildrop ok. So wtf?
>
> You'll have to excuse my language here- I'm not sure how much hair I
> have left after working on this for several days...

What you should be doing is posting this to the postfix users list where people
like Wietse Venema, the developer of Postfix, can answer your questions and
help you solve your problem.  Seriously.  Sebatian and others there have a
tremendous amount of experience with Postfix and will be much more help to you
than most people here.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst