Can't get soundcard to work

Aniruddha mailing_list at orange.nl
Wed Oct 8 21:41:21 UTC 2008

Thanks for the help! Here are the answers:

> This is a weird error message. Don't know whether /dev/dsp exists or
> not - worth checking.

ls /dev/d
da0      da2      dcons    devstat  dsp0.0   dsp1.0
da1      da3      devctl   dgdb     dsp0.1   dumpdev

> I don't know why you seem to have 2 sound cards but I'd have a look at
> getting the Intel sound card going. Put:
>
> snd_hda_load="YES"
>
> in /boot/loader.conf
Done

> Reboot & then see what kldstat(8) and mixer(8) tell you.

# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    6 0xc0400000 97c8a8   kernel
 2    1 0xc0d7d000 15524    snd_hda.ko
 3    2 0xc0d93000 4a62c    sound.ko
 4    1 0xc0dde000 6a2c4    acpi.ko
 5    1 0xc68ea000 10000    ext2fs.ko

# mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75

> If that looks reasonable have a go at playing an mp3 or wav with
> mplayer. Mplayer might give you some debugging output if it doesn't
> work.

The output from mplayer
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Operation not
supported

--
Regards,

Aniruddha