question about "sound-juicer"

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Oct 8 07:25:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 08:19:32PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> Guys,
>
> There's a very useful audio app called "sound-juicer"; I have it
> installed but whenever I try to use it, a popup warns:
>
> "Could not read the CD\n
>
> Sound juicer could not access the CD-ROM Device '1,1,0'
> Reason: No such file or directory"
>
> I've got two CD/DVD optical drives; both are correctly configured in
> /etc/fstab and in /media and in my home directory.  I'm stuck.  Any ideas
> on what's wrong?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> gary

	It's probably bad form to respond to one's post, but here's
	the deal: while I *could* transfer audio data from one CD to my
	hard drive or elsewhere, I wantedt o use sound-juicer (like I did
	on my Ubuntu platform.  There, both gnome and kde both work.
	Until very recently, I assumed that the same rule applied to our
	OS as well.  But I have had to set up things to have evolution's
	icons be displayed on FBSD, and now this difficulty with the
	audio app.  Is there some magic incantation that will let me use
	applications of either/or bothe Gnome and KDE?

	I use KDE primarily for one reason:: it has speech wirh
	konqueror.  firefox does not.  ANother reason is the KDE had
	seemed to have given people with disabilities more consideration.
	I'm not blind, but it helps to have an essay read back to me so I
	can hear the flubs.  &c.

	(*****)