Coretemp seems to be off quite a bit

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Tue Oct 7 19:59:03 UTC 2008

On Oct 7, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> It would help if we could see some of his sysctl date, specifically
> these:
>
> debug.cpufreq.*
> dev.cpufreq.[0-9].*
> dev.cpu.[0-9].freq
> dev.cpu.[0-9].freq_levels

$ sysctl debug.cpufreq
debug.cpufreq.verbose: 0
debug.cpufreq.lowest: 0

$ sysctl dev.cpufreq.0
dev.cpufreq.0.%driver: cpufreq
dev.cpufreq.0.%parent: cpu0

$ sysctl dev.cpufreq.1
dev.cpufreq.1.%driver: cpufreq
dev.cpufreq.1.%parent: cpu1

$ sysctl dev.cpu | grep freq
dev.cpu.0.freq: 2984
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2984/-1 2611/-1 2238/-1 1865/-1 1492/-1 1119/-1
746/-1 373/-1

> For all we know, it could be the heatsink/fan is not properly mounted,
> or there's too much thermal paste.  Who knows.

I remounted the heatsink (side note: curse you, Intel - was that meant
to be funny?), and didn't apply a single bit of paste other than what
came on it.  I don't have the ability to boot Windows on this system,
or at least not without some pain (it's a server with no extra drive
space I could readily set aside to install it, for starters).

Since fiddling with the heatsink, the temperature was down to 45C at
boot.  I did another "make -j4 buildworld" and it got up to 58C.
Since killing that build, it's slowly working its way back into the
high 40s (currently bouncing between 48 and 49).

--
Kirk Strauser