thorny (for me) permissions problem

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Tue Oct 7 15:19:05 UTC 2008

>> Well, thanks to Valintin, I did figure out how to change the umask
>> for
>> pure-ftpd. So now uploaded files have the permissions I wanted,
>> even if
>> they are not needed.
>
> Be careful with what you've done.  If you changed the umask on the
> ftpd
> as a whole, then suddenly unrelated users are going to find their
> files
> writeable by whatever group/GID they default to.

A good point. The default group for my users is their own group...
i.e., user_a's default group is user_a, so that should not be a
problem, but why give away more rights than necessary?

So, I've put the pure-ftpd umask back to 137:077 (this inverted octal
was a brain twister until I had my second cup of coffee :-),
retested, and it all works the way I wanted it to.

Three hours gone, but I guess I learned a few things, which I have
documented in my Solutions Log.

By the way, for any Mac users on the list, I highly recommend Yojimbo
as a Solutions Log. Yojimbo is a program that's hard to explain, but
incredibly useful. It is basically a place that you can throw all
sorts of useful information, such as notes on how to solve things
you've already figured out (I hate having to figure things out
twice), PDFs, book marks, whole web pages (archived), emails
(archived), passwords (encrypted)... any information that you want to
be able to find easily in the future.

You can 'tag' each bit of information with as many keywords as you want.

Then, when you need to retrieve some vital bit of information, it has
a search engine that lets you find it quickly.

It sounds trivial, when you read it, but I don't know any other tool
that lets you store so many types of documents in the same place,
with such easy retrieval.

Anyway, that's my tip of the day.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Now I just need to catch up on the
rest of the day's work!

-- John