thorny (for me) permissions problem

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Tue Oct 7 12:54:40 UTC 2008

The following permissions problem has me stumped:

1. User A uploads a file (using ftp) to the server, into a directory
called 'data' owned by user B. Permissions on directory set to allow
this, like this:
	drwxrwxr-x  2 user_b user_b   512 Oct  7 08:40 data

2. A cron job, run by user B, then processes the file

3. When the processing is complete, the cron job needs to delete the
file from the server

4. however, after upload, the file has the ownership A:B (i.e, owned
by A, group B) with permissions -rw-r--r--. So B does not have
permission to delete the file.
	-rw-r--r-- 1 user_a user_b 154879 Oct 7 08:40 data_file.csv

The ftp user can manually change the permissions on the file to -rw-
rw-r--, but I do not want to depend on the user remembering to change
permissions. If he forgets, the cronjob will process the file over
and over again. I need the server to handle this, so it gets done
correctly 100% of the time.

B does not have sufficient permissions to delete the file or change
it's permissions. The only thing I can think of is to have ANOTHER
cron job, run by A, run every few minutes to check for the existence
of a file, and change the permissions so B can delete it. But this
smells like a kludge to me.

Is there a correct way to handle this? For instance, is there
something I can set in A's profile, so when he uploads a file, the
group permission is set to rw? That would be a nice clean way to do
it, but I can't find anything like that.

Any help, much appreciated.

-- John