HP DL servers

Gavin Spomer spomerg at cwu.EDU
Sun Oct 5 15:11:05 UTC 2008

We also have DL380's and I can't remember what generation my FreeBSD test server is, but it too has the Broadcoms in it which work fine with FreeBSD 7.0. Ours is recognized as bce however.

Gavin Spomer
Systems Programmer
Brooks Library
Central Washington University

>>> "H.fazaeli" <fazaeli at sepehrs.com> 10/05/08 3:24 AM >>>

HP servers usually have NICs with broadcom or intel chipsets which are
recognized
as bge and em under freebsd and work great.

We have the following configurations and they work fine:

- freebsd 6.3 on dl320G5 with on-board broadcom network chipset and SATA
HDDs. We had
  problems with hardware RAID and used geom to impl. RAID functionality.

- freebsd 6.3 on dl380G5 with SAS HDDs. Hardware RAID controller is
recognized by 6.3
  and works.

Ludovit Koren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to buy HP servers DL 320 G5p or DL 360 G5p. I googled but
> did not find clear answer if the NICs and disk controllers are
> supported in FreeBSD 7.x. I read about some problems with NIC in DL
> 360 but it was not actual and I am not sure about disk controller
> in DL 320.
>
> Any personal recommendations and experience with the servers are
> welcomed.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> lk