A question about the root shell

Erik Trulsson erikt at update.uu.se
Fri Oct 3 15:30:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 05:20:32PM +0200, Andreas Davour wrote:

> I'm not a csh user, in fact I hate it. Though, I use it as it is out of
> the box for root so I'm reminded I'm not an unpriv user any longer.
>
> That being said I'm getting annoyed by the fact that the root shell is
> always showing me all the "dot files" all the time. It clutters up the
> terminal with so many files I don't see the ones I want to work with! Is
> there a way to turn this feature off?
>
> I even tried to start a bash and alias ls to ls -F but it still kept
> showing me the dot-files I'd rather not see.
>
> Anyone?
>
> /Andreas

Is the problem the output of ls(1) or the output when using (some form of)
tab-completion or perhaps the result of evaluating wildcard characters ('*',
'?', etc)?

In the former case it has nothing to do with which shell you are using but
is instead a feature of ls(1). Read the ls(1) manpage and pay special
attention to the '-A' and '-I' options.

In the second and third case (tab completion and wildcard expansion) it
depends entirely on your shell how it is handled.
I am afraid I am not familiar enough with either bash or csh to say how (or
even if) it can be configured with them.
With zsh (my preferred shell) one can control if dot-files should be
expanded or not with 'setopt globdots'/'setopt noglobdots'.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se