Questions drivers for VGA and NIC

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Thu Oct 2 22:58:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 02:18:10PM -0400, Mungyung Ryu wrote:

> Hi BSD folks!
>
> I installed FreeBSD 7 Release - amd64.
> I have ATI Radeon HD2600 pro VGA card but ATI is sucks for supporting driver
> for Linux or FreeBSD!
> So, I'm considering to replace the dam ATI card with NVIDIA Geforce.
> I don't wanna play 3D games on FreeBSD, so just cheap Geforce card would be
> enough,
> but it should support 1920x1200 resolution.
> I wonder if what Geforce model is supported by the FreeBSD 7R - amd64.
> Anybody can recommend?

Have you tried using: x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati? That should build on
your machine.

You can use: x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv with Nvidia cards on AMD64.

The supported cards are listed in the manpage:

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/X11R7.0/doc/html/nv.4.html

Cards that will drive your resolution are mentioned in this
discussion:

http://fixunix.com/hardware/8213-what-video-card-support-1920x1200-dvi-resolution.html

I dare say anything newish should manage it.

I use the nv driver and am quite happy with it (I'm a desktop user but
non-gameplayer). It's rock solid in my experience and preferable to
running a blob.

> Second, I want to use zero-copy facility of FreeBSD.
> As far as I know, the hardware (NIC) support (Scatter-Gather DMA) is needed
> for that as well as using sendfile() api.
> Among the NIC products which has SGDMA function in the market,
> which one is the most well supported by FreeBSD 7R - amd64?
> I got a technical support from Intel, and they said there is no Intel NIC
> which supports SGDMA.
> That is so surprising.. isn't it?

Don't know anything about this, I'm afraid :(

But I suggest you search for NICs that do SGDMA & then see if FreeBSD
supports it by looking at an appropriate manpage (if there is a
driver).

> The driver issue is killing me on FreeBSD.
>
> Thanks.

Don't give up hope! The video should be easy to sort out, don't know
about the NIC though.

Regards,

--

 Frank