Scanner

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Oct 1 20:25:10 UTC 2008

John Vliouras wrote:
> I wonder if this is the right place to ask a question regarding FreeBsd7
> and the Handbook.

It is, unless you have a specific "fix" (patch) for the handbook, in which
case you send a PR and/or discuss it on the doc@ list (generally send a PR
is correct; doc@ is a list for use by the doc writers, so it should be pretty
important before we bother them).

> I have installed FreeBsd7 both i386 and amd64 architectures in two
> macines, one celeron dual core with 1GB, the other amd64x2 3800+ ,and I
> have problem with my scanner.

<snip>

> The problem is my scanner a Canon Lide 60. Running #scanimage -L I get
> "device `genesys:libusb:/dev/usb1:/dev/ugen0' is a Canon Lide 60 flatbed
> scanner" which is right and it shows up with xsane as root (when I am
> lucky to use xsane as root in gnome)
>
> Now trying to: "7.6.4 Giving Other Users Access to the Scanner
>
> All previous operations have been done with root privileges. You may
> however, need other users to have access to the scanner. The user will
> need read and write permissions to the device node used by the scanner.
> As an example, our USB scanner uses the device node /dev/uscanner0 which
> is owned by the operator group. Adding the user joe to the operator
> group will allow him to use the scanner:
>
> # pw groupmod operator -m joe
>
> For more details read the pw(8) manual page. You also have to set the
> correct write permissions (0660 or 0664) on the /dev/uscanner0 device
> node, by default the operator group can only read the device node. This
> is done by adding the following lines to the /etc/devfs.rules file:
>
> [system=5]
> add path uscanner0 mode 660

Since your device is "ugen0" instead of "uscanner0", you
might try adjusting the line to fit that.

> Then add the following to /etc/rc.conf and reboot the machine:
>
> devfs_system_ruleset="system"
>
> More information regarding these lines can be found in the devfs(8)
> manual page.
>
> Note: Of course, for security reasons, you should think twice before
> adding a user to any group, especially the operator group."
>
> I cannot find "/etc/devfs.rules" file, it does not exist. I tried to
> make one adding what I was instructed, to no avail. I tried to put
> "[system=5]" etc in the "/etc/defaults/devfs.rules" file, which exists,
> but it did not work either.

Well, you didn't find /etc/devfs.rules because it's not created by default,
but only is used if additional local configuration is needed (for example,
to change permissions on a scanners /dev/ node).  :-)

Creating the file in /etc/ is the way to go.  Perhaps if you note what
I said above it will work for you this time.  However, IANAE, some it
may not, (YMMV, #include "disclaimer.h" and all that).

> I suppose I must be doing something wrong. Please bear in mind that this
> is my first time that I am using the command line. I have been able to
> thanks to the very easy and instructive FreeBSD's handbook.

It is nice, isn't it?  :-)

> Thank you,
>
> John Vliouras

Kevin Kinsey
--
Don't despise your poor relations, they may become suddenly rich one day.
		-- Josh Billings