Load trends over time

Joe Tseng joe_tseng at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 1 12:29:30 UTC 2008

I currently maintaining some systems that run Nagios clients and the server spews out "socket timeout after 10s" msgs on occasion even when nothing is wrong.  Does anyone know of any kind of tool that saves system data over time and allows for people to trend for patterns?  If not, what options should I use with ps and what columns should I be capturing so I can save the resulting data via script?

tia,

 - Joe