7.1-BETA2 installation on ASUS P4S8X fails BIG MEDIUM ERROR

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Wed Nov 12 02:12:35 PST 2008

Christoph Kukulies schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> don't know whether it's the CDROM drive (a Creative 52x mx) or the
> motherboard (ASUS P4S8X) or what.
> Anyway, I tried to install a recent version of FreeBSD (7.1-BETA2) and
> the installation
> hangs right in the boot process of the installation CD disc1.
>
> I see
>
> acd0: FAILURE - READ BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00
> run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config
> run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 120 seconds for
> xpt_config
> run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 180 seconds for
> xpt_config
>
> and so on.
Final remark:

I changed the motherboard in the end but actually I suspect that the
reason the install got hung was not the
READ BIG MEDIUM ERROR (I got this error also with the new motherboard
and the install got past this error and
continued), the reason was, that I had an ASUS ST-200 SCSI card (NCR
Symbios chipset?) sticking in the
system that could have caused all the trouble.

Either it was the fact that this card had trouble with FreeBSD anyway (I
remember something in this vein)
or the card was defective or it was a problem with card and motherboard.

Anyway, the problem has resolved.

Thanks  a lot for the good advice, explanations, tips etc.

--
Christoph