UFS2 limits

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Nov 9 08:53:17 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 11:02:07AM -0500, Robert Huff wrote:

> Wojciech Puchar writes:
>
> >  the limit is 32765, just because link count is 2 bytes wide and
> >  each subdir adds two to base directory. you have to change to 2
> >  level hierarchy.
>
> 	Question (for anyone who has an informed opinion):
> 	If there any technical reason that couldn't be expanded to 32
> bits?  Or is it possible but not done for historical or
> policy reasons, and if so what are they?

It probably could be expanded to 32 bits if that was deemed useful.
Doing that would of course require re-creating any existing filesystems
since the on-disk format would change, which would be a PITA for users,
but certainly possible.

It is rare that anybody actually encounter this limit however.  I would
even say that if you have more than a couple of thousand entries in a single
directory, then you are probably doing something wrong.

Personally I cannot think of any situation where one would actually want
(let alone need) as many as 30000 or more subdirectories in a single
directory.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson