7.1-BETA2 installation on ASUS P4S8X fails BIG MEDIUM ERROR

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Tue Nov 4 09:02:09 PST 2008

Christoph Kukulies schrieb:
> Julien Cigar schrieb:
>> I've this problem too on almost all my machines. The only solution I've
>> found is to disable DMA (atapi_dma), but then performances are very poor
>>

> What I've found is enable/disable IDE Master in the BIOS settings. I
> disabled it to no avail.
> Just bought a SATA CD/DVD burner hoping to get along with this.

Pitfall - SATA CDROM drive is not seen by the BIOS so I cannot boot from
it or
is there a way to get around this? Any other method to boot from? This
motherboard isn't one of the
newest, in contrary, quite old. Doesn't seem to support boot from USB
device, so I depend on
getting the system booted from CDROM.

--
Christoph Kukulies